We had fresh cranberries that needed to be used…asap. Since we are well passed the season for cranberry sauce a cake will have to do. We had fresh oranges on hand and the combination of oranges and cranberries is classic. The sweetness of the orange and the aroma from the orange zest balances out the tartness of the cranberries. You’ll find this cake recipe to be fairly simple to make. It is a pretty substantial cake. While it is great to serve after a meal as a dessert; it’s definitely strong enough to enjoy on its own as a delightful breakfast or brunch. The cake almost has a pound cake consistency and it’s buttery, while tart at the same time and not overly sweet. The almonds add a layer of crunch and gives the cake a rustic look and feel while the cranberries add a beautiful pop of color. It would be a fabulous cake to serve to your loved ones on Valentine’s Day, Christmas or any day for that matter.
Cranberry, Orange and Almond Cake
Prep: 15 mins Bake: 1 hour 25 mins Yields: 1 10 inch round cake
1 C sliced raw unsalted almonds
2 Tbs regular butter, melted
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 C sugar
¾ C regular butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp pure vanilla
zest of 1 orange
juice of ½ orange
12 oz. fresh or frozen cranberries
- Pre-heat oven to 300° F. Grease 10 inch spring form pan with butter.
- Topping: Combine almonds, butter and brown sugar in a bowl and refrigerate.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium high speed until mixture is lighter in color and has increased in volume. About 5 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add butter. Turn mixer to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla, zest, and orange juice and stir.
- Slowly fold ½ C of the flour mixture at a time into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Add cranberries and stir gently to incorporate.
- Pour into pan and top with almond mixture. Bake on middle rack for 1 hour, then place a piece of foil on top of the cake to prevent burning and bake for another 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on cooling rack for 10 minutes and then remove pan and cool cake on cooling rack.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette