Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake….doesn’t that just sound divine for breakfast with a fresh cup¬†of coffee or a tall glass of ice cold milk?¬†¬†Blueberries and lemons go so well together¬†- creating a cake that is bright¬†with just the right amount of¬†sweet and tart.¬†¬†The best part of any¬†coffee cake is the¬†crumb topping and glaze!¬† It’s an added texture that is sweet and¬†crunchy.¬† You may have¬†noticed I’ve been on a 2 flavor cake combo lately.¬† This cake is a variation of the¬†Cranberry, Orange¬†& Almond Cake that I made a few weeks ago.¬† Please keep in mind this cake takes lots of patience.¬† It bakes for about an hour and a half at a low temperature.¬† I usually¬†bake this at night and let it cool over night.¬† I then glaze it in the morning and¬†it’s ready for breakfast or brunch.¬† Hope you enjoy it!
Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
Prep:¬† 25 mins¬† Bake:¬† 1 hour 30 mins¬†¬† Yields:¬† 1¬†9 inch¬†round spring form¬†cake
Crumb Topping (this recipe makes a lot and is what I used on the cake pictured in this post):
1¬ĺ C all purpose flour
¬ĺ C light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coarse salt
1¬Ĺ sticks of¬†cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Here’s a recipe for less crumb topping since the original recipe does make a LOT and I can’t impose my crumb topping love on everyone – so I went back to the drawing board and made some adjustments.
Crumb topping (less and a more practical amount):
1 C all purpose flour
1/3 C light brown sugar, packed
¬Ĺ tsp cinnamon
¬Ĺ tsp coarse salt
1 stick of cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¬ľ tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 C sugar
¬ĺ C regular butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp pure vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
juice of¬†1 lemon
12 oz. fresh blueberries
1 C powdered sugar
2 – 2¬Ĺ Tbs fresh lemon juice
splash of milk, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 300¬į F.¬† Grease¬†spring form pan with butter and set aside.
- Crumb topping:¬† Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.¬† Add butter and use your hands to squeeze and combine the mixture until small to medium clumps form.¬† Place in the refrigerator.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium high speed until mixture is lighter in color and has increased in volume.¬† About 5 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add butter.¬† Turn mixer to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla, lemon¬†zest and¬†juice and stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- With a rubber spatula, slowly fold ¬Ĺ C of the flour mixture at a time into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Add¬†blueberries and stir gently to incorporate.
- Pour batter into pan and top with crumb topping.¬†¬†Bake on middle rack¬† for 1 hour 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.¬† If you are worried about the batter leaking from the spring form pan, place pan on a baking sheet.¬† Tent the cake with a piece of foil if the crumb topping is browning too much.¬†
- Cool cake in pan on cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Glaze:¬† Add 1 Tbs of lemon juice at a time to the powder sugar and whisk until smooth and it has a “drizzle” consistency.¬† You may need more or less juice.¬† Add a splash of milk if you like a hint of milk or creaminess.¬† Drizzle the glaze over the cake, letting it drip over the sides of the cake.¬† Let sit for at least 5 minutes to allow the glaze to set.
**¬†It’s important that you use a 9 inch spring form pan not a 9 inch regular round pan.¬† The sides are higher on the spring form pan vs the regular round pan.¬† You can also make this cake in a tube pan — you may need to adjust the cooking time**
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette