Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake….doesn’t that just sound divine for breakfast with a fresh cup¬†of coffee or a tall glass of ice cold milk?¬†¬†Blueberries and lemons go so well together¬†– creating a cake that is bright¬†with just the right amount of¬†sweet and tart.¬†¬†The best part of any¬†coffee cake is the¬†crumb topping and glaze!¬† It’s an added texture that is sweet and¬†crunchy.¬† You may have¬†noticed I’ve been on a 2 flavor cake combo lately.¬† This cake is a variation of the¬†Cranberry, Orange¬†& Almond Cake that I made a few weeks ago.¬† Please keep in mind this cake takes lots of patience.¬† It bakes for about an hour and a half at a low temperature.¬† I usually¬†bake this at night and let it cool over night.¬† I then glaze it in the morning and¬†it’s ready for breakfast or brunch.¬† Hope you enjoy it!
Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
Prep:¬† 25 mins¬† Bake:¬† 1 hour 30 mins¬†¬† Yields:¬† 1¬†9 inch¬†round spring form¬†cake
Crumb Topping (this recipe makes a lot and is what I used on the cake pictured in this post):
1¬ĺ C all purpose flour
¬ĺ C light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coarse salt
1¬Ĺ sticks of¬†cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Here’s a recipe for less crumb topping since the original recipe does make a LOT and I can’t impose my crumb topping love on everyone – so I went back to the drawing board and made some adjustments.
Crumb topping (less and a more practical amount):
1 C all purpose flour
1/3 C light brown sugar, packed
¬Ĺ tsp cinnamon
¬Ĺ tsp coarse salt
1 stick of cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¬ľ tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 C sugar
¬ĺ C regular butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp pure vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
juice of¬†1 lemon
12 oz. fresh blueberries
1 C powdered sugar
2 – 2¬Ĺ Tbs fresh lemon juice
splash of milk, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 300¬į F.¬† Grease¬†spring form pan with butter and set aside.
- Crumb topping:¬† Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.¬† Add butter and use your hands to squeeze and combine the mixture until small to medium clumps form.¬† Place in the refrigerator.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium high speed until mixture is lighter in color and has increased in volume.¬† About 5 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add butter.¬† Turn mixer to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla, lemon¬†zest and¬†juice and stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- With a rubber spatula, slowly fold ¬Ĺ C of the flour mixture at a time into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Add¬†blueberries and stir gently to incorporate.
- Pour batter into pan and top with crumb topping.¬†¬†Bake on middle rack¬† for 1 hour 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.¬† If you are worried about the batter leaking from the spring form pan, place pan on a baking sheet.¬† Tent the cake with a piece of foil if the crumb topping is browning too much.¬†
- Cool cake in pan on cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Glaze:¬† Add 1 Tbs of lemon juice at a time to the powder sugar and whisk until smooth and it has a “drizzle” consistency.¬† You may need more or less juice.¬† Add a splash of milk if you like a hint of milk or creaminess.¬† Drizzle the glaze over the cake, letting it drip over the sides of the cake.¬† Let sit for at least 5 minutes to allow the glaze to set.
**¬†It’s important that you use a 9 inch spring form pan not a 9 inch regular round pan.¬† The sides are higher on the spring form pan vs the regular round pan.¬† You can also make this cake in a tube pan — you may need to adjust the cooking time**