We have been M.I.A for quite some time now, but we have a few good reasons. Last year was a whirlwind for us. We found out that we were expecting a little baby boy, we bought a new home and we put our home on the market. We finally moved into our new home at the beginning of March and started unpacking and preparing for Brandon’s arrival, but we didn’t get much done because Brandon decided to come 3 weeks early. We weren’t ready… but then again is any one ever really ready?
While pregnant, many people often asked if I had any cravings. I think they were hoping to hear something bizarre such as anchovies, ice cream and a drizzle of pickle juice. I was sad to disappoint because the two things that I craved were actually pretty “normal” in my book. Early in my pregnancy, before I even knew I was pregnant, I craved two things: green chile tamales and chocolate chip cookies. I spent days searching for green chile tamales and baked chocolate chip cookies weekly. During my first trimester I craved a lot of fruit: apples, oranges, mangoes, Asian pears, berries, persimmons and bananas. I was especially drawn to orange colored fruits such as persimmons and mangoes. I guess I needed vitamin A. During my third trimester Derrick and I had a green smoothie daily for breakfast which usually consisted of kale, apple, carrot, Greek yogurt, chia seeds and pineapple. I know… pretty boring cravings, huh?
Life with baby has been a blessing. Although I have to say, it is quite an adjustment especially with so little sleep. Can you even call it sleep? It’s more like a nap these days. Brandon is growing and changing every day and I wish I could just freeze time so that I can enjoy him longer (and have time to shower, brush my teeth, eat, and maybe sleep). Regardless, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I could spend hours staring at this perfect little being, so tiny, innocent and pure. Welcome to the world Brandon – we love you to the moon and back.
I made Savory Sweet Life’s The Best EVER Chocolate Chip Cookies numerous times during my pregnancy. It’s crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I like the use of coarse sea salt in the recipe, it gives a little bit of texture and is just enough savory to balance the sweetness. The brown sugar adds depth to the cookie that isn’t too sweet. You’ll have to try Alice’s recipe, you won’t be disappointed.
2 sticks of salted butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
1½ cups brown sugar, packed
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2¾ cups (12 oz) all-purpose flour (it’s best if you weigh the flour for this recipe)
¾ tsp. coarse sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1½ tsp. baking powder
2¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar for about 3 minutes on medium high speed. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and continue mixing for another 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour together. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- Place 2 tbs of dough about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on sheet for 2 minutes then transfer the parchment paper with the cookies to a non-porous surface to cool for at least 3 mins.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette