This no oil or butter banana bread recipe has been a favorite with both my coworkers and neighbors. All natural apple sauce is used to create this very easy, chocolatey, moist banana bread. I created this recipe while on maternity leave and now it’s my go to recipe. The brown sugar and cinnamon really adds depth to the bread. Derrick thinks that I purposely let bananas get super ripe just to make banana bread. There may some truth to that… 🙂
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Prep: 10 mins Bake: 50 mins Yields: 1 loaf
3 ripe bananas, mashed
½ C all natural apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
2 C all purpose flour, reserve 1 Tbs
½ C granulated sugar
½ C brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º, lightly spray loaf pan with cooking spray and dust pan with flour.
- Combine bananas, apple sauce, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Place flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Use a whisk and combine the ingredients.
- Toss the chocolate chips and reserved Tbs of flour together. (this will help prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the bread)
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine. Do not over mix. Add the chocolate chips to the batter and stir to combine. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake on center rack of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes then cool bread on cooling rack.