This no oil or butter banana bread recipe has been a favorite with both my coworkers and neighbors. All natural apple sauce is used to create this very easy, chocolatey, moist banana bread. I created this recipe while on maternity leave and now it’s my go to recipe. The brown sugar and cinnamon really adds depth to the bread. Derrick thinks that I purposely let bananas get super ripe just to make banana bread. There may some truth to that… 🙂
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Prep: 10 mins Bake: 50 mins Yields: 1 loaf
3 ripe bananas, mashed
½ C all natural apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
2 C all purpose flour, reserve 1 Tbs
½ C granulated sugar
½ C brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º, lightly spray loaf pan with cooking spray and dust pan with flour.
- Combine bananas, apple sauce, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Place flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Use a whisk and combine the ingredients.
- Toss the chocolate chips and reserved Tbs of flour together. (this will help prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the bread)
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine. Do not over mix. Add the chocolate chips to the batter and stir to combine. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake on center rack of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes then cool bread on cooling rack.
I always seem to have bananas gone bad…but the funny thing is I don’t think I have ever made banana bread in my home kitchen. Not sure why? I have to give it a try, sounds so warm and comforting… Hope to see you soon. Thank you for the sweet card, made us all smile.
I’m going to try this version. Yay, no butter (hope Len won’t notice).
@Chef Louise: Derrick is pretty certain that we only buy bananas to make banana bread! 🙂 Hope both Michaels are feeling better. xoxo
@Teri F.: You’ll have to let me know what Len thinks, but your recipe is so good! Butter makes everything better!