I was recently asked by The California Olive Committee to participate in Kitchen PLAY’s SideCar Event celebrating California Black Ripe Olives and National Taco Day. Fall is here and I knew I wanted to make taco soup. It just sounded so good to me: ground turkey, hearty beans, olives, corn and tomatoes in a warm spicy broth topped with cheese and a dollop of sour cream. The best part is this dish is so easy to make and wonderful for feeding crowds or for potlucks.
The California black olives add a nice richness and saltiness to the soup while the cheese and the sour cream help cut the spiciness from the taco seasoning and green chiles.
Join Kitchen PLAY, California Ripe Olives and some of your favorite food bloggers for a Twitter Party on October 16th, 7:00 PM EDT. Learn about this tasty, nutritious and versatile food. Have fun testing your olive knowledge. Win great olive prizes! Register here.
Beginning October 1, read all ten posts at Kitchen PLAY celebrating National Taco Day with California Ripe Olives for clues. Each post contains an “olive fact” that may appear as a trivia question during the Twitter Party. A new post and fact will be revealed each day, Monday through Friday, until October 12.
My CA Ripe Olive fact: There are more than 1100 table olive growers in California.
Cook time: 45 minutes
1 onion, diced
1.25 lbs of ground turkey
2 Tbs taco seasoning, divided
2 cloves of garlic, minced
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
(2) 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
7 oz can green chiles
15.25 oz can corn, drained
(2) 14.5 oz chicken broth
1 can (6oz) extra large pitted California black ripe olives, drained and sliced into fours
1 tsp garlic salt
Salt and pepper to taste
garnishes: Mexican blend cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado and green onions
- Heat large pot over medium high heat, coat bottom of pot with olive oil. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add ground turkey, garlic and 1 Tbs of taco seasoning. Brown meat.
- Add beans, tomatoes, chiles, corn, chicken broth, olives, remaining taco season and garlic salt. Stir to combine and reduce heat to medium. Partially cover pot with lid and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with garnishes.
Disclaimer: I was compensated for my time and efforts for this Kitchen PLAY post. All opinions are my own.