Spring is here and I can’t think of a better dessert to have then a tart Key Lime Pie. The graham cracker crust is filled with a silky, creamy lime filling that is bright and fresh. The lime zest incorporated into the filling and sprinkled on top of the pie adds an extra pop of flavor, color and fresh lime aroma. The pie is topped with sweeten whipped cream to help cut the tartness. I think this pie is great for a beautiful spring brunch and would be great for Easter. I plan on making this recipe through the summer months. It’s easy to make; the hard part is waiting for the pie to chill and set up before you devour it!
Key Lime Pie
Prep: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Makes: 1 9 inch pie
1¼ C graham cracker crumbs
¼ C sugar
5 Tbs melted butter
1 14oz can of condensed milk
1 whole egg
1 C lime juice (key lime juice can be used but keep in mind key limes are tarter and more bitter than regular limes. You can cut the amount of juice down to ½ C for the recipe)
zest of 1 lime
1 C heavy whipping cream
3-4 Tbs of powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 tsp vanilla
Garnishes: lime zest and lime slices
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press the mixture into a 9 inch pie or tart pan. Place pie pan on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let crust cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, whisk together condensed milk and egg until smooth. Add lime juice and zest and whisk until combined and smooth. Gently pour filling into cooled pie shell (on baking sheet) and bake on the middle rack for 15 to 18 minutes until center of pie has set. Remove from oven and cool pie on rack and then chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours. Top with whipped cream and garnish with lime zest and slices.
- In a large, deep bowl, add heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Using an electric hand mixer whip the ingredients together on medium high speed for 7 to 8 minutes until it begins to hold stiff peaks.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette