Derrick and I have been on a biscotti kick lately. We never buy it at the coffee shops but I do enjoy baking them. We find the store bought ones to be too hard, while the ones I bake at home tend to be a little sweeter because I usually incorporate dried fruit which lends to a softer and slightly tender texture. Biscotti is so easy to make and they require very few ingredients. Many of the ingredients are regular things that you will find in your pantry, such as butter, flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, extract and some sort of dried fruit or nuts. It’s simple to make but it does requires time and patience since it is twice baked after all. Derrick loves blueberries and almonds, so I thought I would incorporate those into the biscotti. It’s a great combination and it’s a fun treat anytime of the day.
Blueberry Almond Biscotti
Prep: 20 mins Bake 40 mins Stand: 20 mins Cool 20 mins Yields: 25-30 cookies
½ C unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ C sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2¼ C all purpose flour
1 C dried blueberries
½ C almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds then add sugar, baking powder and beat until combined. Add eggs and almond extract and beat until combined. Gradually add flour and beat in as much as you can with the mixer. Stir in the remaining flour by hand. Stir in blueberries and almonds.
- Divide dough into half. On a lightly floured surface and with lightly floured hands shape the dough into a log about 10 x 2 inches. Place dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. (It’s important to let it cool otherwise it will crumble and break if you try to cut it while hot)
- Reduce oven temperature to 300º. Cut each roll diagonally into ½ inch thick slices.
- Place slices upright on the cookie sheet about ½ inches apart and bake for 15 minutes. Cool biscotti on wire racks. Store in airtight container.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday and Pumpkin Bars
- Taco Soup
- Grilled Pound Cake with Ice Cream and Berries & Grill Pan Giveaway
- The Taste 2012
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Giveaway
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Can It Forward Day
- Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Great Day to be a Dog
- Chocolate Dipped Caramel Biscotti
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette