I’ve seen these pop up everywhere….and couldn’t wait to try them. But it’s a weeknight, and I don’t have the time to make Red Velvet Whoopie Pies completely from scratch. Some people call it cheating…but I call it being smart….I doctored a red velvet cake mix…so sue me.
Here’s the recipe :
Easy Whoopie Pies from eHow with some tips/notes
1 box of red velvet cake mix (eggs, water, & oil according to the box directions)
½ C flour
½ C butter (soften)
4 oz Cream Cheese (soften)
7 oz Marshmallow Cream
Here’s what I did:
1) Preheat the oven to 375º.
2) Either grease or line your cookie sheet with a silpat (I used a silpat – less clean up – it’s a weeknight after all)
3) Add a ½ C of sifted flour to the cake mix and prepare the cake according to the box directions
4) Pour batter into a gallon ziplock bag. (To make this easier – put the ziplock bag into a large cup so that the bag has support as you fill it)
5) Seal the bag and cut a small hole in the corner of the bag. Squeeze the batter (about 1″ and 1.5″ apart) onto the cookie sheet. The blobs are suppose to look like a Hershey’s Kiss. Although none of mine did – that’s probably why mine are on the flatter side…all well. Next time, I think I will add more flour for a less running consistency.
6) Bake for 6-8 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack. (I baked mine for about 7 minutes)
7) Prepare the Whoopie Pie filling: cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add the marshmallow cream and mix. Refrigerate the filling for about 30 minutes before spreading on whoopie pies.
Keep in airtight container in the fridge. Take out about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!