Summer is almost over and what better way to celebrate the last few days than with a loaf of tropical coconut banana bread? Baking banana bread is one of my favorite ways to use ripe bananas. I love coconut and we always have coconut flakes on hand so adding it to the bread was an easy decision. The sweet ripe bananas and rich toasted coconut flakes make for an incredibly flavorful quick bread. The sour cream adds a richness and moistness to the bread that will make you come back for seconds! It’s so easy that no beaters or mixers are needed to whip up this delicious treat! It’s great as is or with a light smear of butter. It’s a wonderful way to enjoy a taste of summer all year long!
Coconut Banana Bread
Active time: 10 mins Baking time: 60 mins Yields: 1 10 inch loaf
2 C all purpose flour
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 C sugar
½ C oil
1 C light sour cream
1 tsp coconut extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed
½ C toasted coconut flakes (sweeten coconut flakes)
1/2 C coconut flakes (sweeten coconut flakes)
- Preheat oven to 350º, spray loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.
- Place flour, salt and baking soda into a medium bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, add sugar, oil, eggs, sour cream and coconut extract. Whisk to combine.
- Add bananas, toasted coconut flakes to wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to combine.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir with rubber spatula or wooden spoon to incorporate the ingredients. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and then cover with foil to prevent the top from burning and bake for another 30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer bread to wire rack to continue cooling.
There are two methods to toast coconut flakes.
- In a dry pan on the stove top: place coconut flakes in a dry pan and toast over medium high until golden brown. Make sure to stir the coconut to prevent burning.
- In the oven: Heat oven to 350º, evenly spread the coconut on a cookie sheet and toast in oven for 7 to 12 minutes or until desired level of golden brown is reached. Use a spatula to occasionally turn the coconut to prevent burning.
* Notes: Coconut can burn very easily so keep a close eye on it. Toasting coconut flakes will enhance the coconut flavor, making it crisp and chewy while adding a richness and depth of flavor to the coconut flakes.