Guess what… Kitchen Runway turns two today! Which makes it a perfect occasion for some alcohol and chocolate cake! This is a dependable recipe that has been in Derrick’s family for decades, his great grandmother, grandmother, mom and now I make it. This chocolate Kahlua cake is incredibly easy to make and is always a hit at parties…it must be because of the Kahlua and vodka. It’s moist and not overly sweet and the aroma of Kahlua and chocolate is simply irresistible. I’ve added chocolate chips to the cake and a healthy helping of cream cheese frosting. It is a celebration after all! (if you’re not feeling the cream cheese frosting you can always generously dust the cake with powdered sugar)
I am truly grateful for those who visit and take an interest in our recipes, stories and photography. We have been able to meet amazing people through the blog and build meaningful friendships. I’ve been wanting to share this recipe for a long time now and I think this is a great time to do so – it represents what Kitchen Runway is about. It’s a no fuss recipe with familiar yet bold flavors that is made with love and care. The most important thing is it is something delicious and it’s meant to be shared with your friends and family. Thank you for an amazing two years, I’ve learned a lot about myself and you have inspired me to strive to be a better cook and photographer.
To help us celebrate our 2 year “birthday”, Mason Cash is sponsoring a giveaway. One lucky winner will win their very own Mason Cash 5.25 quart mixing bowl. Mason Cash is a 200 year old tradition in England and is a well known and prized kitchen staple. The design is functional in the kitchen but it also a great serving piece. It’s dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe. I’ve used my mixing bowl to mix up cake batters, make mashed potatoes and as a serving bowl. I know you’ll find a place for this beautiful mixing bowl in your kitchen.
Chocolate Kahlua Cake
Prep: 15 minutes Bake time: 50-60 minutes Yields: 1 bundt cake
1 15.25 oz. box of yellow cake mix, preferably with pudding added
1 3.9 oz. box of instant chocolate pudding
4 large eggs
2/3 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ C Kahlua
¼ C vodka
¾ C water
¾ C oil
- Preheat oven to 350º, grease a bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add yellow cake mix and reserve 2 Tbs of the cake mix in a small bowl. Add chocolate pudding, eggs, Kahlua, vodka, water and oil. Mix with a hand mixer on medium speed until combined, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips to the reserved cake mix and toss to coat the chips. Add this mixture to the cake batter and gently stir to combine.
- Pour cake batter into prepared bundt cake and bake in the middle rack for 50 – 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a metal rack then dust with powdered sugar or top with cream cheese frosting and shaved dark chocolate.
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 8 oz. bricks of cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp of vanilla extract
4 C of powdered sugar
- Beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Here’s how to enter to win the Mason Cash mixing bowl: Congratulations Amy!! Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes and the for entering!
- Leave a comment telling us what is your favorite birthday/anniversary treat.
- “Like” Kitchen Runway on Facebook
- Follow Kitchen Runway on Twitter
- “Like” Pacific Merchants on Facebook
- Tweet this giveaway: “Win a Mason Cash mixing bowl from @kitchenrunway & @pacificmerchant http://tinyurl.com/7umhw97 #giveaway”
That’s 5 entries into the giveaway. If you already do one of the above, it will count as an extra entry (just leave a comment below to let us know). Remember to post a separate comment for each entry.
This giveaway is open to US residents only. (sorry international readers…)
The giveaway will end on Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 at 11:59 pm PST. The winner will be randomly drawn and will be notified by the email that they provide on the comment. If the winner does not claim their prize by 11:59 pm PST on March, 3rd, 2012, another winner will be chosen and the prize will be forfeited.
Disclaimer: I was sent a complimentary mixing bowl. One random winner will also receive the same. The opinions however, are my own.
I like Kitchen Runway on Facebook. Debbie Christie
I like Pacific Merchants on Facebook. Debbie Christie
happy blog bday! kahlua cake is a great way to celebrate this recipe looks so good!
The kahlua cake looks sweet, rich, moist and delicious. I like the way you decorated it (and I love the platter/plates you used to photo it on!!) Hope you’re having a happy St. Paddy’s and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Liked Kitchen Runnaway on Facebook
Folllowing you on twitter!
And I liked Pacific Merchants on Facebook
….and I’m following you on pinterest, too!
instant pudding in the cake mix! ooo i bet this was extra delish!
Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes and for entering the giveaway!
Let Me Eat Cake: 🙂 the instant pudding definitely adds an extra richness and makes the cake super moist.
Every time I make your Chocolate Kahlua cake, it never lasts. Its so moist. Thanks to your recipe, I always have requests to bring the dessert 🙂