Guess what… Kitchen Runway turns two today! Which makes it a perfect occasion for some alcohol and chocolate cake! This is a dependable recipe that has been in Derrick’s family for decades, his great grandmother, grandmother, mom and now I make it. This chocolate Kahlua cake is incredibly easy to make and is always a hit at parties…it must be because of the Kahlua and vodka. It’s moist and not overly sweet and the aroma of Kahlua and chocolate is simply irresistible. I’ve added chocolate chips to the cake and a healthy helping of cream cheese frosting. It is a celebration after all! (if you’re not feeling the cream cheese frosting you can always generously dust the cake with powdered sugar)
I am truly grateful for those who visit and take an interest in our recipes, stories and photography. We have been able to meet amazing people through the blog and build meaningful friendships. I’ve been wanting to share this recipe for a long time now and I think this is a great time to do so – it represents what Kitchen Runway is about. It’s a no fuss recipe with familiar yet bold flavors that is made with love and care. The most important thing is it is something delicious and it’s meant to be shared with your friends and family. Thank you for an amazing two years, I’ve learned a lot about myself and you have inspired me to strive to be a better cook and photographer.
To help us celebrate our 2 year “birthday”, Mason Cash is sponsoring a giveaway. One lucky winner will win their very own Mason Cash 5.25 quart mixing bowl. Mason Cash is a 200 year old tradition in England and is a well known and prized kitchen staple. The design is functional in the kitchen but it also a great serving piece. It’s dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe. I’ve used my mixing bowl to mix up cake batters, make mashed potatoes and as a serving bowl. I know you’ll find a place for this beautiful mixing bowl in your kitchen.
Chocolate Kahlua Cake
Prep: 15 minutes Bake time: 50-60 minutes Yields: 1 bundt cake
1 15.25 oz. box of yellow cake mix, preferably with pudding added
1 3.9 oz. box of instant chocolate pudding
4 large eggs
2/3 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ C Kahlua
¼ C vodka
¾ C water
¾ C oil
- Preheat oven to 350º, grease a bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add yellow cake mix and reserve 2 Tbs of the cake mix in a small bowl. Add chocolate pudding, eggs, Kahlua, vodka, water and oil. Mix with a hand mixer on medium speed until combined, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips to the reserved cake mix and toss to coat the chips. Add this mixture to the cake batter and gently stir to combine.
- Pour cake batter into prepared bundt cake and bake in the middle rack for 50 – 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a metal rack then dust with powdered sugar or top with cream cheese frosting and shaved dark chocolate.
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 8 oz. bricks of cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp of vanilla extract
4 C of powdered sugar
- Beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Here’s how to enter to win the Mason Cash mixing bowl: Congratulations Amy!! Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes and the for entering!
- Leave a comment telling us what is your favorite birthday/anniversary treat.
- “Like” Kitchen Runway on Facebook
- Follow Kitchen Runway on Twitter
- “Like” Pacific Merchants on Facebook
- Tweet this giveaway: “Win a Mason Cash mixing bowl from @kitchenrunway & @pacificmerchant http://tinyurl.com/7umhw97 #giveaway”
That’s 5 entries into the giveaway. If you already do one of the above, it will count as an extra entry (just leave a comment below to let us know). Remember to post a separate comment for each entry.
This giveaway is open to US residents only. (sorry international readers…)
The giveaway will end on Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 at 11:59 pm PST. The winner will be randomly drawn and will be notified by the email that they provide on the comment. If the winner does not claim their prize by 11:59 pm PST on March, 3rd, 2012, another winner will be chosen and the prize will be forfeited.
Disclaimer: I was sent a complimentary mixing bowl. One random winner will also receive the same. The opinions however, are my own.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette