Derrick’s parents gave us a few zucchinis the other weekend and I secretly “forgot” to use them in a stir fry and saved them for quick bread. Shhhh…. don’t tell.
Zucchini bread is very similar to carrot cake. The vegetable flavor itself is very mild and the spices really shine. It’s like when you take a bite of carrot cake, you see carrot bits floating in the cake but in the end it’s all about the moist cake, beautiful spices and the decadent cream cheese frosting. No one says – “wow I love this cake; it taste like a carrot stick!” It’s the same thing with zucchini bread. So if you’re hesitant about putting green vegetables into bread, don’t be because it’s delicious! The zucchini lends to a very moist and light bread. The spices are warm, inviting and comforting. It’s a great bread to enjoy all year long and incredibly easy to make. It’s also a great way to get your vegetables in for the day… even if it’s in a very sweet, but satisfying way.
Bake: 60 mins Yields: 1 loaf
2 C grated zucchini, about 3 small to medium zucchinis
2 C all purpose flour, sifted
1 C granulated sugar
¼ tsp all spice
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
¾ C oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray 10 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and use a paper towel to wipe up the excess oil. Flour the loaf pan and set aside.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to combine. Add grated zucchini and stir. It may seem a bit difficult or hard to mix it all together at first but the moistness from the zucchini will help it all come together.
- Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake on middle rack for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit in pan for 10 minutes and then let cool on wire rack.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday and Pumpkin Bars
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette