Pumpkin is a classic fall flavor and great to serve at Thanksgiving. I love the warm orange color and the slight sweetness. One of the best ways to enjoy pumpkin is in a cupcake with a generous helping of cream cheese frosting. These pumpkin cupcakes moist and smell amazing while baking in the oven! The aroma from the cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice fills the house with a scent that is warm and comforting. It’s exactly what Thanksgiving should smell like! These cupcakes are perfect for an after school treat or a holiday dessert so go ahead and bake up a batch this fall.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep: 10 mins Bake time: 25 mins Yields: 24 standard cupcakes
2 C all purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ tsp all spice
1 C brown sugar
1 C granulated sugar
2/3 C First Street sour cream
4 large eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
2 C pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Frosting (depending on how generous you are with the frosting you may have to double the recipe – I always do)
8oz First Street cream cheese, cold
1 stick of First Street unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold (not straight from the fridge – leave it out on the counter for about 15 mins)
1/8 tsp of salt
3 ¾ C powdered sugar
½ tsp of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, brown and granulated sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, oil, eggs and pumpkin puree.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a spatula to combine.
- Line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners and divide batter evenly between the 24 cups.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 to 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, cream cheese and salt. Mix until smooth then add vanilla and then gradually add the powder sugar and mix on low until combined. Do not over mix as that will incorporate too much air and the frosting will be too loose.
Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost the cupcakes. I used a 1M Wilton tip to create the swirl on the cupcakes and then sprinkled with some coarse sugar.
Smart and Final is participating in the California Milk Advisory Board’s “Help Our Teachers, Help Our Kids” promotion. Here are the details: Students and families can help by collecting Real California milk seals from select Smart and Final First Street products. Teachers can then submit these seals to win. Each seal is a sweepstakes entry and every 100 seals will earn the teacher 25 Scholastic books or $25 school supply gift card. Each teacher entrant will receive one Scholastic book.
The California Milk Advisory Board will announce the winners February 2012, but Smart and Final will be hosting their own sweepstake (#smartandfinalsupportsSoCalSchools)! Entrants can go to www.firststreetsupportsocalschools.com and tell why their Southern California school should win. For the next three months, Smart and Final will donate $500, $300 or $200 to 3 schools of their choice. There will be 9 total winners in the course of 3 months! Good luck to you and your school!
This project has been compensated as part of a social shopper insight study for #collectivebias
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday and Pumpkin Bars
- Taco Soup
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette