We had our good friends, Mike, Christa and their baby Paige, over for lunch this weekend. Christa is a vegetarian and in the past I would often prepare two meals, vegetarian and non-vegetarian. Lately, I’ve been finding new ways to keep vegetarian dishes satisfying for both parties which helps me spend less time in the kitchen and more time with our guests. I decided to make caramelized onion, mushroom and goat cheese tarts served with a salad dressed with balsamic vinaigretteand for dessert, vanilla ice cream with strawberry and blueberry flambe. I love caramelized onions…they are so tender and sweet. Add meaty crimini mushrooms, mild goat cheese and aromatic pine nuts and you have perfection. It’s hard to resist all those savory flavors especially when it’s sitting on a crispy and flaky piece of puff pasty. These tarts are such a great dish to serve for a brunch, light lunch or even as an appetizer. The best part is the recipe is super easy.
Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Tarts
Prep: ~10 mins Cooking: ~15 mins Baking: 17 mins Makes: 8 tarts
2 large sweet onions, (ie Vidalia) thinly sliced
2 C crimini mushrooms, sliced
3 Tbs olive oil, plus more for brushing pastry
1 17.3 oz package of frozen puff pastry, thawed and each sheet cut into 4 squares
Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Heat 2 Tbs. of olive oil on large saute pan over medium low heat.
- When oil is hot, add onions. Cook until soft and tender. Stir often, careful – you do not want to fry the onions. The key is to cook the onions low and slow.
- Add 1 Tbs. of olive oil and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are soft.
- Season with a little sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Score each square ½ inch from the edge and brush with a small amount of olive oil. Place cut puff pasty squares on baking sheet.
- Spoon 1 Tbs. of the onion and mushroom mixture into each square. Spread the mixture out evenly inside the scored section.
- Dot 1 tsp. of goat cheese on each tart, sprinkle ½ tsp. of pine nuts and then lightly season with salt and pepper. (You can definitely use more goat cheese/pine nuts if you want)
- Bake on center rack for 17 mins or until edges are golden brown and puffy.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette