Pumpkin is synonymous with the fall season. The warm orange hue combined with aromatic spices make pumpkin dishes comforting during this time of year. These pumpkin bars are moist, fluffy and not too sweet. It’s topped with cream cheese frosting which adds just the right amount of richness to this simple but very satisfying dessert.
Even Taylor couldn’t resist these pumpkin bars! I had just finished shooting the final pictures and I walked away for a minute. All of a sudden, I could hear Derrick yelling in the kitchen, “No, Taylor! No!” In a matter of seconds Taylor had devoured a whole pumpkin bar. I’m sure if Derrick didn’t catch her she would have eaten all four pieces. She’s such a sneaky dog (but incredibly lovable). I guess they were just too tempting.
recipe adapted from Paula Deen
Prep: 15 minutes Bake time: 20 minutes Yields: 1 half sheet cake
1 2/3 cups of sugar
1 C oil
15 oz can pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
2 C sifted all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
½ C butter, soften
2 C sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º and grease a ½ size sheet pan (18in W x 13in L x 1in H) with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl mix eggs, sugar, oil, pumpkin puree, and vanilla with an electric hand mixer at medium speed until well combined.
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir to combine.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed to combine.
- Spread batter into pan and level batter with an offset spatula. Bake on middle rack for 20 minutes. Cool cake completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add powder sugar and mix on low until combined. Add vanilla and mix on low to incorporate. Using an offset spatula, frost onto cooled cake and cut cake into bars to serve.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday and Pumpkin Bars
- Taco Soup
- Grilled Pound Cake with Ice Cream and Berries & Grill Pan Giveaway
- The Taste 2012
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Giveaway
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Can It Forward Day
- Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Great Day to be a Dog
- Chocolate Dipped Caramel Biscotti
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette