Lately, I have been thinking a lot about combining the flavors of peanut butter and chocolate. It’s a classic pair that needs to marry in the form of a fudgey brownie. Why? Because I love peanut butter cookies and I love brownies and I want to enjoy them at the same time. This is a very easy and satisfying recipe that will be sure to please both adults and kids. It would also be great served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
We are going to make the peanut butter cookie dough from scratch, so we are going to get some help for a box brownie mix.
28 minutes later….. you get this gorgeous and decadent treat…
Ahhhhh……peanut butter cookies + brownies….
Just one last peanut butter cookie brownie picture and then the recipe…
Peanut Butter Cookie Brownies
½ C unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ C creamy peanut butter
½ C sugar
½ C brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1¼ C flour
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 box brownie mix and necessary ingredients for brownies according to box directions
½ C peanut butter chips
- Cream butter, peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar and egg together with an electric mixer or a stand mixer
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix to combine
- Place peanut butter dough in a bowl, cover and refrigerate
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Line 9×13 baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray or use the wrapper from the stick of butter to grease the pan. You can grease the pan directly if you want, but the foil will help you lift the brownies out of the pan.
- Mix brownie mix according to box directions, add the peanut butter chips and mix. Pour batter into pan
- Take peanut butter dough out of the fridge. Using half of the dough, place spoonfuls of the dough in various spots on top of the brownie batter
- Press peanut butter dough into the batter and then use a butter knife to swirl the peanut butter dough into the brownie batter
- Place on middle rack and bake for 28 minutes or until the brownies are done
- Cool in pan
** What do do with the remaining peanut butter dough? Make another batch of peanut butter brownies or use the remaining dough to bake peanut butter cookies. You will get about 12 cookies with the remaining dough.
- Roll peanut butter dough into 1 inch balls
- Place on baking sheet and use a fork dipped in sugar to press down horizontal and then vertical to form hash marks on the cookie (then I cheat – and sprinkle a little more sugar on top of the cookies before baking – just a little)
- Bake at 375º for 8 to 10 minutes (until light golden brown along the edges), remove and let sit on baking sheet for 1 minute and then cool on baking sheet
- Store in an airtight container (I find that they are super good out of the oven – when the cookies cool they get a bit crispy – but store them in an air tight container – and the next morning — they are soft & chewy…just wait and you’ll see. The cookies are even better the day after you bake them)
*** Note – if you decide to skip the brownie part all together and just make PB cookies – you still have to put the dough into the fridge for about 20-30 minutes before rolling and baking. That way the dough is firm enough to roll into balls and won’t spread into a gigantic circle while baking.
aahhh! two recipes in one! Yum! great for summer potlucks! This is a keeper 🙂
I tasted one of these today, and it was awesome!!!!
Peanut butter, chocolate, and brownies… ahh, all three things I love!
Ah! 2 recipes in one stone. 😉 Brownies looks super rich and moist. Helpful step-by-step pics. 🙂
They are so good that everytime she asks if i want one i would obviously say yes and not pass up the offer.
All the lovely things baked in the same pan! loved the brownies:)
do send it in for the Magic Bullet recipe contest/giveaway hosted on my blog:)Your recipe could win you a Free Magic Bullet To Go!
Erin: Definitely a great dessert to bring to a potluck!
Aleks: Thanks! I knew you would love the combo…you’re such a peanut butter fan!
Kathy: I know it’s hard not to love peanut butter, chocolate & brownies….heaven 🙂
Sonia: Thanks Sonia!
Quynh: and I had one each time you guys had one….they were too hard to resist! Thanks for stopping by!
They look super fudgy in the middle, which is most excellent. The corner pieces are screaming to be eaten.
Duo Dishes: You’re like me — I love the corner pieces! My favorite! Can’t go wrong with fudgy brownies!
Okay, that is just mean! Now all I can think about is THESE! I can’t not make these… what a wonderful list of ingredients… and those pictures, decadent!
Yum…..these look so good. My mouth is watering!!
OHHHH MY GODDDDDDDDD!
This is so clever and I bet it is yummy.
These look great … I don’t see how you could go wrong combining peanut butter and chocolate though! 😉
Thanks for sharing.
These are absolutely amazing! I couldn’t stop eating them! I gave them to a friend to take to work and they were a huge success!
Mary: 😉 Thank you!
Jessica: hope you made some to stop your mouth from watering 🙂 Thank you for stopping by!
Feel what felt: they’re pretty darn good — chocolate and peanut butter! Heaven!
Chaya: Thank you!
Tatiana: Thank you – I agree – the combination is perfect!
Michelle: Thank you so much! I’m so happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed the recipe! Woothoo!! Work is always a great place to share treats!