My dear friend over atHealthy Test Kitchens recently asked me to develop a simple and healthy recipe to feature on her weekly newsletter.¬† This week is all about the healthy benefits of dark chocolate.¬† I was happy to contribute and excited about being part of Healthy Test Kitchens’ newsletter.¬†¬†You should check it out sometime – it’s a great way to keep up with health trends, news, and pick up a few healthy and easy recipes along the way.
Being healthier or making better choices doesn’t have to be complicated.¬† So this recipe is all about keeping it simple.¬† It’s a¬†satifying treat that combines 2 good for you ingredients:¬† fresh bananas + dark chocolate (and optional sprinkles).¬† I love that these are bite size which make them look like little pieces¬†of decadent chocolate.¬† They’re the perfect size to eat when you’re craving¬†something sweet.¬† To be honest I’m not a huge fan of dark chocolate…but¬†this I love!¬† The natural sweetness of the banana balances out the dark chocolate.¬† It’s a fun treat that you don’t have to feel guilty about.
Banana Bon Bons
Yields: 24 bon bons
2 ripe bananas (sliced into ¬Ĺ inch rounds)
5-6 oz of dark chocolate
Sprinkles, nuts, coconut optional
- Place sliced bananas in a single layer into a freezer safe container (make sure they are not touching each other).¬† Freeze for at least an hour.¬† Keep in freezer until you are ready to start dipping.
- Break dark chocolate into chunks, place into a microwave safe container (I like to use my glass measuring cup because I love having a handle to hold onto and it’s deep enough for dipping)
- Microwave chocolate at 50% power in 30 second intervals (stirring between each interval) until smooth.¬† Takes about 90-120 seconds total
- Place a frozen banana into the melted chocolate and use a fork to cover the banana with chocolate.¬† When banana is fully coated, shake the excess chocolate off of the banana by tapping the banana against the side of the container.¬† Place chocolate dipped banana on a piece of waxed paper.¬† You can decorate now if you wish:¬† sprinkles, nuts, coconut – whatever you want.¬† Repeat with remaining bananas.¬† Make sure to work fast since the coldness of the bananas will set the chocolate.
- Store dipped banana bites in¬†a freezer safe container.