My dear friend over atHealthy Test Kitchens recently asked me to develop a simple and healthy recipe to feature on her weekly newsletter.¬† This week is all about the healthy benefits of dark chocolate.¬† I was happy to contribute and excited about being part of Healthy Test Kitchens’ newsletter.¬†¬†You should check it out sometime – it’s a great way to keep up with health trends, news, and pick up a few healthy and easy recipes along the way.
Being healthier or making better choices doesn’t have to be complicated.¬† So this recipe is all about keeping it simple.¬† It’s a¬†satifying treat that combines 2 good for you ingredients:¬† fresh bananas + dark chocolate (and optional sprinkles).¬† I love that these are bite size which make them look like little pieces¬†of decadent chocolate.¬† They’re the perfect size to eat when you’re craving¬†something sweet.¬† To be honest I’m not a huge fan of dark chocolate…but¬†this I love!¬† The natural sweetness of the banana balances out the dark chocolate.¬† It’s a fun treat that you don’t have to feel guilty about.
Banana Bon Bons
Yields: 24 bon bons
2 ripe bananas (sliced into ¬Ĺ inch rounds)
5-6 oz of dark chocolate
Sprinkles, nuts, coconut optional
- Place sliced bananas in a single layer into a freezer safe container (make sure they are not touching each other).¬† Freeze for at least an hour.¬† Keep in freezer until you are ready to start dipping.
- Break dark chocolate into chunks, place into a microwave safe container (I like to use my glass measuring cup because I love having a handle to hold onto and it’s deep enough for dipping)
- Microwave chocolate at 50% power in 30 second intervals (stirring between each interval) until smooth.¬† Takes about 90-120 seconds total
- Place a frozen banana into the melted chocolate and use a fork to cover the banana with chocolate.¬† When banana is fully coated, shake the excess chocolate off of the banana by tapping the banana against the side of the container.¬† Place chocolate dipped banana on a piece of waxed paper.¬† You can decorate now if you wish:¬† sprinkles, nuts, coconut – whatever you want.¬† Repeat with remaining bananas.¬† Make sure to work fast since the coldness of the bananas will set the chocolate.
- Store dipped banana bites in¬†a freezer safe container.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette