This recipe is a simple way to feed a crowd for a brunch, get together or even a shower. Everything goes into one dish – the protein & vegetables – and then into the oven. It’s easy, fast, and the eggs come out fluffy and light. This is a vegetarian friendly dish, but you can easily add diced ham or chopped cooked bacon to the dish before baking to make it savory.
Fresh and healthy ingredients lends to a delicious and flavorful dish. You can substitute pepper jack cheese or any other cheese for the peppadew. Keep in mind if you use a saltier cheese such as cheddar – you may need to add less salt to the dish.
Quickly saute the vegetables, combine ingredients and then bake – that’s it. So simple yet so satisfying! It’s also an easy way to sneak some vegetables in for breakfast. It’s kid tested and approved – in fact my siblings (13, 14, & 15 years old) went back for seconds. My sister who hates tomatoes even said the tomatoes were good in the dish! I was honestly surprised she didn’t pick them out. So there you go – if you chop everything up and mix it up in something yummy – they will eat it.
Baked Eggs with Asparagus and Mushrooms
Prep: ~10mins Active cooking time: 30mins Serves: 8
1 C low-fat cottage cheese
1 C nonfat milk
1 C shredded cheese (I used peppadew Havarti – but you can use pepper jack or any other cheese of your choice)
1 C asparagus, sliced
2 C Crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 tomato, diced
1 Tbs basil, sliced in to thin ribbons (chiffonade)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450º
- Coat pan with olive oil and saute mushrooms over medium high heat until tender and brown, set aside.
- Saute asparagus over medium high heat for about 2 mins. until slight tender and bright green, set aside. You don’t want to over cook because it will finish cooking in the oven and give the bake a nice crunch.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add milk, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Then add the cottage cheese, shredded cheese and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes, basil, asparagus and mushrooms and stir. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray then pour egg mixture into dish.
- Bake until eggs are golden, set and puffy, about 20 mins. on the middle rack of the oven.
- Cut into 8 large rectangles or 12 smaller sized squares and serve. Yum!
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday and Pumpkin Bars
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette