My mom recently came by to visit and brought us 3 pounds of strawberries and a box of Apple Jacks Cereal. (I’m not quite sure why she got us Apple Jacks – it must have been an impulse buy) Aren’t moms the greatest though? It doesn’t matter how old you are — you are still their baby. Thank you mom, I love you!! I ate a whole pound all by myself the next day and wanted to find other ways to consume the rest of the berries. Which brings us to this recipe…Strawberry Lemon Fool.
What’s a “fool” you might ask…well it’s an English dessert that is made of puréed fruit and sweetened whipped cream. Strawberries and whipped cream go so well together and the lemon adds a brightness to the dish. It’s airy and sweet. You can make a berry fool in no time and it’s great when you have a bunch of berries on hand. These can be made ahead of time and totally be dressed up for a fun brunch with friends or a fancy dinner party.
Strawberry & Lemon Fool
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4
1 lbs. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
¼ C granulated sugar
1 C heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs powdered sugar
Zest of one lemon (about a heaping tsp of zest)
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 strawberries, halved and mint leaves (optional for garnish)
- Combine sliced strawberries and granulated sugar into a medium sized bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Purée half of the strawberries. Pour the purée strawberries back into the bowl of sliced strawberries.
- In a medium bowl, add heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Beat until soft peaks form (about 5 minutes to 7 minutes do not over beat or you’ll have butter). Gently fold in lemon zest. (if you use a cold bowl and cold beaters the cream will whip up faster – so put those babies into the fridge before beating)
- Add strawberries to whipped cream and gently fold to combine. Divide equally into 4 glasses or bowls and garnish with a fresh strawberry half and mint. (I didn’t have any mint on hand…so mine are missing the mint)
- Cover with plastic wrap and pop into the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
ps…this is for you…Jessica (my berry fool pro) and Cara (my lemon loving friend) xoxo!