My mom recently came by to visit and brought us 3 pounds of strawberries and a box of Apple Jacks Cereal. (I’m not quite sure why she got us Apple Jacks – it must have been an impulse buy) Aren’t moms the greatest though? It doesn’t matter how old you are — you are still their baby. Thank you mom, I love you!! I ate a whole pound all by myself the next day and wanted to find other ways to consume the rest of the berries. Which brings us to this recipe…Strawberry Lemon Fool.
What’s a “fool” you might ask…well it’s an English dessert that is made of puréed fruit and sweetened whipped cream. Strawberries and whipped cream go so well together and the lemon adds a brightness to the dish. It’s airy and sweet. You can make a berry fool in no time and it’s great when you have a bunch of berries on hand. These can be made ahead of time and totally be dressed up for a fun brunch with friends or a fancy dinner party.
Strawberry & Lemon Fool
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4
1 lbs. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
¼ C granulated sugar
1 C heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs powdered sugar
Zest of one lemon (about a heaping tsp of zest)
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 strawberries, halved and mint leaves (optional for garnish)
- Combine sliced strawberries and granulated sugar into a medium sized bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Purée half of the strawberries. Pour the purée strawberries back into the bowl of sliced strawberries.
- In a medium bowl, add heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Beat until soft peaks form (about 5 minutes to 7 minutes do not over beat or you’ll have butter). Gently fold in lemon zest. (if you use a cold bowl and cold beaters the cream will whip up faster – so put those babies into the fridge before beating)
- Add strawberries to whipped cream and gently fold to combine. Divide equally into 4 glasses or bowls and garnish with a fresh strawberry half and mint. (I didn’t have any mint on hand…so mine are missing the mint)
- Cover with plastic wrap and pop into the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
ps…this is for you…Jessica (my berry fool pro) and Cara (my lemon loving friend) xoxo!
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Wine Sangria with ChocolatRouge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Cookies
- Easy Bacon Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs #CampbellSauces
- Winder Farms Review and Giveaway
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- Can It Forward Day 2013 & Giveaway
- Pregnancy Cravings – Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette