With the start of a new year, many people are trying to eat lighter and healthier. This citrus and fennel salad is a great start or accompaniment to a meal. It’s light, refreshing and so simple to put to together! The pomelo is an Asian citrus fruit that is sweet and mild compared to the grapefruits that we’re accustomed to eating. The pomelo and orange adds a sweetness and bit of tang to the salad and a dose of healthy vitamin C. The fennel is crisp and has a licorice flavor that mellows out when paired with the citrus fruits. To top it all off, I sprinkle pomogranate arils for a touch of color, hint of tartness and of course some added antioxidants. Hope you enjoy this quick and easy recipe and Happy New Year!
Orange, Pomelo & Fennel Salad
Prep: 10 mins Serves: 2 large portions or 4 appetizer portions
1 large pomelo, peeled and sectioned
1 large orange, peeled and sectioned
1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1 Tbs loosely packed mint
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs pomegranate arils
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place sectioned oranges and pomelos into a medium bowl. Reserve any juice from the fruit and squeeze the juice of the orange and pomelo membrane into a separate bowl. (about ½ C of juice)
- Add the thinly sliced fennel to the oranges and pomelo and toss.
- In a blender add the citrus juice and mint. Pulse to break down the mint. Add the olive oil and blend. Season lightly with a pinch of salt and pepper. The dressing will be very thin. Pour over fruit and fennel. Add pomegranate arils. Toss.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer salad to a plate and serve with a sprig of mint.
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday and Pumpkin Bars
- Taco Soup
- Grilled Pound Cake with Ice Cream and Berries & Grill Pan Giveaway
- The Taste 2012
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Giveaway
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Can It Forward Day
- Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Great Day to be a Dog
- Chocolate Dipped Caramel Biscotti
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette