These pot stickers are little pouches of golden goodness filled with a delicious mixture of ground pork, shrimp, cabbage, mushrooms & water chestnuts.
Pot stickers earn their name from the way it is cooked. These dumplings are fried on a pan without being flipped, causing the bottom to stick to the pot. Water is then poured into the pot which steams the dumplings which helps release the “sticker” from the “pot”. Fun right? (I’m sure you get more sticking when you’re not using a non-stick pan)
1½ lbs of ground pork
1 lbs of shrimp, peeled, deveined & finely chopped
1 C of shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
4 green onions (about 1/3 C chopped)
2 C cabbage, finely chopped
1 8oz. can of water chestnuts, drained & chopped
1½ tbs oyster sauce
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp salt
2 pkg. of pot sticker/gyoza wrappers (50 wrappers in each package)
oil & water
makes: ~ 100 pot stickers
1. Combine all the ingredients (except for the pot sticker wrapper). I use my hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
2. Lay your pot sticker wrapper on a small plate, fill a small bowl with water. Dip your finger into the water and moisten the edge of half the pot sticker wrapper. Put a spoonful of filling (~½ tbs) into the center of the wrapper. Careful to not over fill otherwise you will not be able to seal the pot sticker and the filling will leak out during cooking.
3. Close the wrapper by folding the wrapper in half and pressing the moisten edge together with the un-moisten edge, fold 4 -5 pleats to prevent the pot sticker from opening.
4. Heat a pan on medium heat, coat pan with a small amount of oil. When oil is hot, add pot sticks in a single layer, make sure the pot stickers are not touching. Fry until golden brown on one side (about 2 minutes) do not flip pot stickers. (Once the pot stickers in the center of the pan are golden brown, you can rotate them with the ones on the outer edges of the pan so that the center ones don’t burn) Add ¼ C of water to pan, cover with lid and turn heat down to medium. Let steam for about 5 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Continue cooking the rest of the pot stickers in batches. We usually have 2 pans going at the same time.
Serve immediately with rice and dipping sauce.
1/3 C soy sauce
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp rice vinegar
½ tsp sesame oil
1 garlic clove, either smashed or minced
1 chili, finely chopped (you can add as much or little as you like)
1. Combine all ingredients and serve. (You will need to double or triple this sauce if you are making all 100 pot stickers)
**If you don’t end up using all of the filling – you can use it in other dishes. We had a little bit left over, so we sauteed the meat mixture and made fried rice. It would also be good with noodles.