Today is Kitchen Runway’s 1st “birthday” or is it 1st “anniversary”, either way I can’t believe that it’s already been a year! We want thank everyone who has visited the blog – it means so much to us! It’s been a fun year and we’ve enjoyed sharing a little part of our life with you. To celebrate, we’re sharing a “two-for” one recipe: Apple, Mango, Cheesecake Turnovers and Crisp. These flaky turnovers are a sweet way to start the day and the warm apple and mango crisp is a comforting way to end the day!
You’re not going to believe how easy this is to make….the secret is that the foundation of this recipe is a can of apple pie filling. I add fresh chopped mangoes and a tiny bit of candied/crystallized ginger and cinnamon to the apple pie filling to elevate the flavors. The next layer of flavor comes from a cheesecake filling. I know it sounds a bit odd…but trust me it works. It’s like a danish and pie all wrapped up in one.
To top it all off…Lucky Leaf Premium Pie Fillings is sponsoring a giveaway for our birthday. The giveaway is one can of Premium Apple Pie filling, a can of Cherry Pie filling and a Lucky Leaf cookbook (a full color collection of award winning recipes). I’ve tried both of the apple and cherry filling and they are delicious. The cans are packed full of fruit and the cherry pie filling was one of the best I’ve ever tried. The cherries are plump and are just the right amount of sweetness. I know you’re going to enjoy the pie fillings and cookbook.
Here’s How to enter:
You can earn up to a total of 4 entries into the giveaway. If you already do one of the following, it will count as an extra entry (just make sure to leave a comment below to let us know). Make sure to come back and post a separate comment upon completion of on each of the following that you chose to do.
- Post a comment here telling us what is your favorite birthday/anniversary treat
- “Like” Kitchen Runway on Facebook
- Follow Kitchen Runway on Twitter
- Tweet this giveaway on Twitter: “Lucky Leaf Pie Filling #giveaway from @kitchenrunway enter here: http://tinyurl.com/46x72a7”
This giveaway is open to US residents only. The giveaway will end on Monday, February 28th, 2011 at 11:59 pm PST. The winner will be randomly drawn and will be notified by the email that they provide on the comment. If the winner does not claim their prize by 11:59 pm PST on March, 3rd, 2011, another winner will be chosen and the prize will be forfeited.
Thank you for all of your comments! All of your favorite birthday/anniversary treats sound delicious! The giveaway is closed and the lucky winner is: Robin! Congratulations!!
Apple, Mango, Cheesecake Turnovers & Crisp
Prep: 20 mins. Bake time: 20 mins. per recipe Yields: 8 turnovers and 4 individual crisp
21 oz. can apple pie filling
2/3 C. chopped mangoes
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbs. finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional – if you don’t care for ginger you can leave it out)
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 C. sugar
1 17.3 oz package of puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
coarse sugar, optional
½ C old fashion oats
¼ C flour
¼ C brown sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbs. butter, melted
pinch of salt
1 Tbs. water
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Coarsely chop the apples in the pie filling and place in a medium bowl. (make sure that you add all of the filling into the bowl as well) Add mangoes, cinnamon and ginger and combine.
- Place cream cheese and into a medium bowl, mix with a hand mixer until smooth. Add egg and mix to until well combined.
- Unfold the puff pastry onto a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, gently roll the puff pasty to work out the creases in the sheet. Cut each of the puff pastry sheets into 4 equal squares.
- Place about 1 Tbs. of the cheesecake filling into the center of the puff pastry square. Add about 1 to 1½ Tbs. of the fruit mixture on top and gently fold the square at a diagonal, creating a triangle. Using your fingers, press the seams together to seal. Do not overfill or else you won’t be able to seal the turnover. Place turnover on a lined baking sheet (I used a Silpat, but you can also use parchment paper). Using the tines of a fork press along the edges to help seal the pastry. Brush an egg wash over the turnovers (lightly beat 1 egg and 1 Tbs. of water together). This will help the turnovers bake to a golden brown.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake on middle rack for 20 minutes or until turnovers are a golden brown.
- Dust with powder sugar and serve. Enjoy!
**If you want to make just turnovers, use an additional package of puff pastry and repeat the steps**
- Coat 4 ramekins with cooking spray or butter.
- Divide the remaining fruit filling equally among the ramekins. Equally divide the remaining cheesecake filling into each of the ramekins (just pour it directly ontop of the fruit).
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and pinch of salt in a small bowl. Add melted butter and combine. Crumble the crisp mixture equally among the 4 ramekins.
- Bake on middle rack for 20 minutes or until crisp is brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
**If you want make just a crisp, double the ingredients for the crisp toppping. You can either bake these individually or in a square or rectangle baking dish**
Let’s Stay in Touch (email updates):
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Tomato Soup inspired by Panera Bread
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Holiday Granola and Silpat & Nutmeg Mill Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Lil Links Giveaway
- Taylor Thursday and Pumpkin Bars
- Taco Soup
- Grilled Pound Cake with Ice Cream and Berries & Grill Pan Giveaway
- The Taste 2012
- Taylor Thursday & Zuke’s Giveaway
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Can It Forward Day
- Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Great Day to be a Dog
- Chocolate Dipped Caramel Biscotti
TagsAlexia Foods apple Asian bake sale basil birthday bread breakfast brownies brunch cake chocolate cookies cream cheese cupcakes decadent dessert Easy favors French fries frosting giveaway goat cheese healthy Italian lemon mango Marshmallow Pops mint mushrooms party pie potatoes recipe development salad sides Soup soy sauce St. Patrick's Day strawberry Taylor Taylor Thursday tomato vegetarian vinaigrette